Thursday, August 23, 2012

TVP (textured Vegetable Protein) In Home food storage

                Textured Vegetable Protein is a wonderful addition to your emergency food pantry!
Textured or texturized vegetable protein (TVP), also known as textured soy protein (TSP), soy meat, or soya meat is a defattedsoy flour product; a by-product of extracting soybean oil. It is often used as a meat analogue or meat extender. It is quick to cook, with a protein content equal to that of meat.

TVP virtually has no flavor on its own and will pick up the seasoning and flavors of whatever it is cooked with. If used as a meat extender I will take on the meat juices and fats that are thrown off of the meat its cooked with. I realize that this in itself isnt to appetizing but I have to tell you this stuff is AMAZING! 

The shelf life is YEARS as long as it is stored  in an airtight container. It can be used as a meat replacement and  most people dont even realize that it isnt meat if not told when eating it in alot of recipes!

TVP is relativity inexpensive and can be purchased at most Large stores in their health food isles, Natural food stores and on line. It can be picked up pre packaged by the pound or bulk. I suggest you buy a small package and try it then purchase it in bulk! I just purchased a 20 pound bag and will be storing it in smaller bags myself. It was a little more than I had intended to pay (around $38 for 20 pounds) But I bought it through where i work. I have seen it cheaper on line! BUT I know it was still cheaper than buying 20 pounds of meat!

TVP can come in crumbles, flakes and other shapes but you will mainly see it like the above photo. It reminds me of kibble. When re-hydrated it has more of the consistency of ground meat.

TVP  can also come in a variety of flavors. Taco, Italian, sausage, ham, bacon, beef , chicken etc. I personally used the plain in cooking because I use it in so many different ways. That and because I have used this product for so long , they didnt really have the options they do now!

In the past I have used it regularly in my spaghetti sauce as a meat replacement, Made tacos, burritos and tostadas,  Casseroles and chili. TVP can be used in anything meat is used in!

My Ex husband ate it for years before I told him it wasn't meat! He was really surprised! He really couldnt tell !

I will be adding recipes for using this amazing stuff! Try it! You'll like it! 

Dont forget to store some water today! Be the captain of your own destiny! Prepare!

Peace, Sherry







No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! We would like to hear your comments, ideas and suggestions....