Wednesday, August 15, 2012

MRE or To not MRE? That is the question!

Have you ever had a MRE? They are Meals ready to eat and are what our servicemen and women eat while in the field. I have had the opportunity to try several different ones during our "Survival preparedness field trip" the week before last.

Now, I wouldn't want to eat them on a regular basis but I must say they arnt bad at all! I have been a chef by trade for several years and I fancy myself to have a pretty discriminating pallet, even tho I do "indulge" in chicken mc nuggets every now and then! LOL! But I do recommend to you to stash a few of these in your survival pantry! If you purchase the whole meals they run about $8 and come with the "heater" to warm your food and they do work well!!! I have seen the items sold on line and they run about $2 per entree.Check out BEPREPARED.COM They have a variety of entrees, sides and desserts. Also these can be purchased at a ARMY surplus store.

I thought I would give a review of the ones that we had tried.

1.White chicken strips in salsa
Needed salt, would be great over rice!

2. White chicken with tomatoes and feta cheese
Lots of chicken, Great flavor! It was all of our favorite!

3.Chicken with pasta in pesto
Lots of chicken, the pesto was a little too much for me...AND I cant believe im even going to say this....BUT not enough pasta! Good flavor

4.Meat loaf in brown gravy and mashed potatoes.
we all liked it, reminded Bill and I of school cafeteria food! Potatoes were marginal

5.Beef patty in BBQ sauce
Really liked that!

6.Mexican Mac and Cheese
was really good and creamy!

7.Cornbread
DONT bother....In one word "ICKY!!!!"

8. Wheat bread snack
we all kinda liked it, it reminded us of "Hard Tack"

9.Vanilla Pound cake
good flavor but kind of crumbley

                  I think you should at least try a few of these. They are a little "pricey" to me but i think they are a nice addition to your food storage to break up canned, dried and dehydrated meals. These are made to last several years if stored in a dry cool place.

So, have a "tasting' party like we did! Buy a few and let everyone try them! See which ones you like or dont!  Then you will be able to purchase the right ones for you and your family! AND PLEASE let us know hat you think of the ones you get and give us your review on them!

Have a great day! Back to my dehydrator today! TOMATOES!!!!!!!! Yippee! LOL!
Peace, Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! We would like to hear your comments, ideas and suggestions....