Saturday, August 11, 2012

Build a Meal Plan!

Ok here I am again! Lets hope I don't lose this one today!

What I'm going to do is help you "Plan" your emergency food storage around the foods you and your family LIKE to eat!
Like I had mentioned in previous posts, if you stock up on stuff you and your family wont eat or things you haven't a clue how to use......WHAT"S THE POINT???? RIGHT?

So here's what I want you to do.... First you need to decide how long you plan to make your storage for, A week? A month? 6 months? A year????? Then I want to to sit down and write out at least 7 dinner meals and 7 breakfast meals that you and your family like and would normally eat on a regular basis.
NOW, get index cards and on the top write a meal on each card, So...you should have 7 dinner cards and 7 breakfast cards. Now, you dont have to just have 7 meals, but this is a good starting point and will help you plan and calculate what you will need to have stocked up for the meals.

EXAMPLE#1

Dinner #1     Spaghetti with meat sauce  ( This will be calculated for two adults. you will need to calculate for the size of your own family)

1 pound Spaghetti noodles ( make sure you figure what each item needs to be made and add it to your card)
1/2 gallon water
salt. teaspoon oil

1 can of spaghetti sauce with meat {Keep in mind you will probably not have access to fresh meat so plan accordingly)

Heat source

So, if youre planning on emergency food storage for 3 months (just an example) you may want to make your 7 dinners 12 times. So on the back of your card figure your shopping for this meal.

You will have the following on the back of your card:
12 pounds spag noodles
12 cans of spag sauce
1/2 cup salt
12 teaspoons oil
6 gallons of water

Then if you want to add extras like Parmesan cheese or bread sticks make sure to calculate these itms as well so they can be added to your shopping list later.

EXAMPLE#2

Chicken and rice ~ Green Beans~ Pineapple

Instant rice : 1/2 cup of rice per person and add exact same amount of water.
So, 1 cup instant rice
1 cup of water
pinch of salt

1- 8 ounce can of chicken
can opener!
1- 8 or 12  ounce can of cream of chicken soup

salt and pepper to taste.

heat source

1 can green beans
1 can of pineapple

Now calculate what you will need to make this dinner 12 times like above, and write it on back of your card.

12 cups instant rice
12 cups water
about 2-3 teaspoons salt
12 cans chicken
12 cans cream of chicken soup
about 1-2 teaspoon pepper
12 cans of green beans
12 cans of pineapple

After you have finished your 7 dinners and 7 breakfasts  make your shopping list based on the back of your cards! This will save you money and time! You'll also have a better idea what you will need to add to your list to supplement your meals! make sure to add desserts and snacks! You will need "comfort" foods, during a time of crisis this will bring you some sort of normality and comfort no matter how small!

What I think will be a real bummer to me is the possibility to not have fresh veggies! I LOVE SALADS! So, I have invested in a home sprouter kit and seeds! This way I will get something fresh and green! That and home canning and dehydrating gives you a better handle of things that may not be available like asparagus. I dehydrated 4 pounds to use for a side dish or soup. it was cheap and shrunk down to almost nothing! But upon re- hydrating it it turned out beautiful and just as tasty!

I hope that this helps you feel a little less overwhelmed! It's something very doable!

Please if you have any questions please contact me, ill be happy to help in any way I can!!!!
YOU dont have to start out prepping for a whole year! Start small and add to it! Be prayerful and ask for guidance! Thats what I do anytime I start to work on being prepared!

AND PLEASE! SAVE WATER NOW!!!!! You can use any and all plastic food grade/safe bottles you get other things in from the store! Just make sure you wash them VERY well before adding your water! You can also add plain unscented bleach to it to keep it safe. From what I understand , the drinking water we get out of our faucets in our home has enough chlorine to hold it. BUT you cant be too prepared!!!!! These can be stored in closets, cupboards and even under your bed!

I hope this Post will help you!!!!
I was thinking about a saying we all have heard before, but it really had an impact on me today!
"Waste not, want not"
LOL! that came to me when i was feeling a little lazy and didn't 'FEEL" like cutting up veggies for the dehydrator today! Then it hit me....If I dont take the few minutes I have now to cut these up and then I may end up throwing them all away somewhere down the line. i'd be kicking myself when I'm sitting there in a crisis without those things!!! SO, my goal is to become a "Proberbs 31"Woman...Because my efforts now will provide for my family later!

Have a wonderful evening!
Peace, Sherry


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! We would like to hear your comments, ideas and suggestions....