Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Our "survival weekend"

Hi all!
Well we pulled thru it very well! basically it was a Big camping trip I would say! We took all our own water, our camp stove and dutch oven as well as most of our preparedness cooking supplies. I think this was a good thing to do since it gave me a wake up call on some items I still need to get!

We took alot of different food but the one i really wanted to see how it would go was the Beef soup mix I had put together using The dehydrated veggies I put up and instant rice. We shared with my friend and her daughter who was also there and They said they really enjoyed it...Bill even said he could easily live off of it, so that made me feel good about all the effort put into it!

The Hard Tack that I had made and brought actually won over other hard tack that was available this weekend! Mine had better flavor and was hard and crisp while the others were hard and crumbly without much flavor. I even had parents come back with their kids and ask for more! I thought that was pretty cool! So, Try the recipe if you get a chance!

We really take a lot of everyday things for granted. You really realize this when you dont have them! I would have to say I do appreciate my coffee maker, My bed, a shower and cold food!!!! making coffee wasnt so bad. We have purchased a french press which really did make a great cup of coffee! I just had to heat up the water and pour it thru....The new sleeping bags we purchased from Walmart were very comfortable and alot better than the regular sleeping bags that we had. These where the mummy bags and rated 0-30 degrees. and were very inexpensive! I highly suggest that you purchase these. They are Coleman brand and cost a fraction of what others cost.We both were very warm and comfortable sleeping.

Being someone who likes a hot shower daily...well, that was not a fun thing for me! BUT you can purchase "Bath" wipes. A sponge bath is better than nothing and in an emergency situation it is what it is! And in a crisis we may not be so worried about bathing daily, well it may not be at the top of our lists to survive!

We brought 4 gallons of water for the weekend for the two of us plus the dog. seemed to be enough with the cooking, dish washing, drinking and teeth brushing.

I think the worse part of all of this was the lack of being organized with my cooking. I feel if I would have a cabinet that could open and hold my essentials it would have been alot easier than digging thru the big tubs that we have. Maybe I can have Bill build something for me!

Other than that it was a great weekend! I feel we are alittle more ready in case we have to leave our home, even if it would be just in the backyard......You never know!

I know I promised Photos...Well, we did bring the camera....Just not the memory card :( so that really didnt do much good! We "Thought " we got alot of great shots! We even got and put up our authentic Civil War canvas tent. WOW! What a great space! It's a 18 x 12 foot tent.

So that's how it went! I hope you and your family have a chance to "test drive" your survival/preparedness gear! Before you have to use it! Get a feel of what you might do to make it even better BEFORE the fact!

Well off to get dinner ready, Peace to all!
PREPARE!
Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! We would like to hear your comments, ideas and suggestions....