Sunday, October 7, 2012

Making Pickles and planting my winter garden! Dill pickle recipe!

Easy Dill Pickles!

12 large pickling cucumbers(  cut in slices)
8 1/2 cups of water
1 cup of kosher salt
2 1/4 cups white Vinegar
fresh dill
1/2 cup sliced garlic

Prepare jars as directed, this recipe made 4 full pints and 4 1/2 pints of pickles.

In clean jars place 2/4 sprigs of fresh dill and a teaspoon of sliced garlic in the bottom. Then layer your cucumber slices.

Put your water, salt and vinegar in a large sauce pan and heat to boiling. Pour with ladle over pickles in prepared canning jars. Leave 1/2 inch space at top! Cover and put in your canning pot. Maker sure the water is boiling! Leave jars in the pot in boiling water for 15 minutes. Take jars out and let set on a towel on your counter. Let cool completely.

Canning is really easy once you get the proper tools together! And pickles are a great way to start!
I dont know about you but There something very gratifying about making something from scratch! I love to look in my pantry and see the jars with all the summer fruits and the rich colors of the salsa's! I know that it's going to be wonderful when we pop it open during the gray winter months!
I hope if you havent had the pleasure of canning your own jam or making something pickled you give it a try!

Well, I apologize for not posting much this past week! Unfortunately I had hurt myself at work and messed up my back ...So, hadnt been able to do alot of anything....But I'm on the mend!
In fact we put in our first stage of our winter garden today! Carrots, green onions, asian pea pods, assorted radishes and beets!
And Bill even built a green house type of structure for it! Next week will be swiss chard!
It's great that fall is finally showing it's head! But I must say I'll be missing all those lovely tomatoes we've been enjoying! Thank goodness for canning and dehydrating tho!
Well, I hope you all have a wonderful week! I'll be back with more recipes and I'll be starting some posts getting into the "Meat and potatoes" of preparedness and survival!
Please be sure to FILL YOUR CONTAINERS WITH WATER!
And grab a few "extra" food items you can store in your emergency food stuff! A few cans or packages here and there will add up before you know it!

Peace and blessings to all! Sherry
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! We would like to hear your comments, ideas and suggestions....