Sunday, July 29, 2012

Interesting Sunday!

Well, I guess I can officially give my review on MRE's  (ready to eat meals). Today Bill and I went into San Diego for the day and searched out a Army/Navy surplus store. Very interesting! Apparently this store called  "Bargain Center" has been in the North park district since the 1960's. They carry everything from Camis to Wool socks, Boots of all eras to coats and hats. They had a great assortment there and alot of stuff that you can really use at reasonable prices. We ended up getting some clothing as well as a few "must haves" (in my book anyways!!!) We got a porta potti for $20! And bought a few packages of the purification tablets for the water, good deal at $6.95 for 35 quarts of drinking water! And then we took a leap and bought 4 complete MRE meals ( Government issue)...Never had them so we decided to give it a try and see if we like them as well as the dehydrated meals...Well I must say they weren't disappointing! We had the BBQ Beef steak and Mexican mac and cheese. It also had cheese crackers ( Alot like the "combos" that are crackers filled with cheese) 2 slices of what were called whole wheat bread snack ( reminded me of giant crackers shaped like a slice of bread) a pouch of cheddar cheese and bacon spread, a pouch of instant Ice tea with lemon and a pouch of lemon lime drink. Considering this is a "ready to eat " product I have to give it a thumbs up. In fact we bought 3 other meals to try.

You can buy MRE's on line and my suggestion is "Emergency Essentials" at beprepared.com. They have a wide variety of entrees, snacks, side dishes and desserts at great prices! I will be buying more of these for our pantry but will also use freezed dry items as well.

Also went to the Japanese market and purchased several packages of soup mixes that are packaged individually, Bulk loose tea and bulk seasonings for rice. I figure since rice and beans are a major stable we should have different things to enhance it!

I hope you will consider all the different food stuffs to put away! Canned goods are great but take up alot of room and are heavy.
My next purchase was a Food Dehydrator! But the bummer of it I had to get it on line! I could not believe that Target, wal-mart, Dicks sporting goods, sports authority, Sears and REI didnt carry them "In-store". REALLY??? So, If you consider getting one of these, go straight to an online store!

On a lighter note......We did get a couple of Coleman mummy sleeping bags -0 -20 degrees for only $49!!!!!! a piece! At Wal-Mart.

Well, I hope that you find all your supplies at bargain prices! And that you have a wonderful night!
Peace,
Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! We would like to hear your comments, ideas and suggestions....